You may probably have heard of this study. I have not been able to find the original source – but it has been on the internet since 1997 – so it must be true. And it sounds plausible.
I know that the reasons that I often leave businesses or change suppliers here in Townsville with money still burning in my wallet- wanting to be spent – do match pretty well.
Here we go:
1. Customer was turned away by the indifferent attitude of a company employee (68 percent)
2. Customer was dissatisfied with the product (14 percent)
3. Customer was lured away by competition (9 percent)
4. Customer was influenced by a friend to go elsewhere (5 percent)
5. Customer moves away (3 percent)
6. Death of the customer (1 percent)
If you want to know how to minimise this expensive loss of customers from your business – you better sign up for the Marketing Bites Tips in the Blue Box on this page.
Ps Does perceived indifference exist in Townsville stores and businesses? In your business?
Need Business Coaching?
Townsville based James Hooper: The term “rainmaker” is becoming regularly used in business context as someone whose role is to ‘make rain’ or ‘create growth’ in your business. In some senses the term ‘business coach’ is limiting as it is primarily about optimizing the effectiveness of the owner/operator. Sometimes the leverage is in the business systems rather than in the operator – and focus on that produces the preferred outcomes.
Business is a game, a puzzle, a tool to get you what you want in life. Call me for a second opinion (other than yours) on how to make your business give you what you want it to.